- Handle: BlakHat1
- Real Name: David Van Camp
- D.O.B.: June 18, 1970
- Occupation: Technical Writer
- Marital Status: Married
- Kids: Eliza, born 5/10/2003 (adopted from Russia and brought home 8/1/05)
- Handle Origin: I was trying to think of a gothic name for my AOL account and Darkling was taken.
- Alternate Handle(s): BlakHooded1 (Halloween), CranHat1 (Thanksgiving), BlakMisfitElf, BlakDreidel1 (Winter holidays), 144Blak (144b Memorial Caption Session), Darien Mason (Second Life avatar)
- You Can Find Me Capping: I'll tell you later
BlakHat1 was among the first wave of geeks drawn to the website of the newly-created Sci-Fi Channel in the Autumn of 1996. Already a fan of MST3K, he instantly understood the concept of Caption This! and became a Captioneer. His humor runs the range from the ribald to the esoteric. He was also known for savagely flaming problematic visitors to CT! such as MirandaRamsey and deadlyringer.
BlakHat1 is not certain but he thinks he may have been the first, or one of the first, to coin the term "Capper". Back when the common parlance was Captioneer, he wrote a caption under an Orwellian-looking screengrab that said "oldcappers unbellyfeel newspeak". Soon after there was a sea change in the capping vocabulary; the term Captioneer fell into disuse (except as a term for CT! users who used to be addressed by that appelation) and was replaced by the term Capper.